Registration Of Marriage
Nationality Certificate
Surviving Member
Income Certificate
OBC Certificate
Domicile Certificate
SC-ST Certificates
Issue of Identity Card to Physically Challenged Persons
Children of Freedom Fighters
Non Encumberance
Apply Online
Find Your Locality
Application Status
Order for delayed Registration of Birth
Order for the delayed Registration of Death
Registration Of Marriage

Marriage Registration Certificate

1. What is Marriage Registration Certificate ?

  • Marriage Registration Certificate is issued to both Husband and Wife whose marriage has already been solemnised. The Registration is done under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both husband and wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs or where they have converted into any of these religions.
  • Where either of the husband or wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.

2. What documents are required for Registration ?

  • Application form completed in all respect and signed by both Husband & Wife.
  • Fee as applicable is to be deposited with Marriage Clerk and the receipt is to be appended with the form.
  • Adhar No. is not compulsory, if Adhar No. is not available, Provide any one identity proof  of Voter ID Card/Driving License/Passport/Pan Card
  • Self attested documentary evidence of date of birth of both parties. (Matriculation Certificate/Passport/Birth Certificate)
  • Self attested residential Proof of both the parties (Voter I-Card/Ration Card/Driving Licence/Passport etc.).
  • Self attested Marriage Invitation card, if available.
  • Separate affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife giving:-

a)      Date and place of marriage.

b)      Date of Birth.

c)      Martial status at the time of marriage.

d)      Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Hindu Marriage Act.

e)      Citizenship.

  • For the purpose of identification, the proof may be in the form of a certificate containing the attested photographs of the Husband & Wife duly attested by any officer/official of central or state governments or Union Territory Administration of PSU/autonomous bodies whose identity can be established or by any person having PAN of Income Tax.
  • Passport size photograph of both the parties (2 Copies each) as well as their Ceremonial photographs duly attested by any officer official of central or state governments or Union Territory Administration of PSU/autonomous bodies whose identity can be established or by any person having PAN of Income Tax.
  • Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorce and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
  • Where marriage has been solemnized at a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required.
  • In case of a foreign national, a certificate from the Embassy concerned regarding his or her present martial status.
  • In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu, Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage is required.
  • The applicants have to apply for registration of marriage to the office of the Deputy Commissioner in whose territorial jurisdiction either of the applicants resides.
  • If the marriage is solemnized in Delhi but the applicants were not residing in Delhi, application for registration of the marriage shall have to be made to office of the Deputy Commissioner in whose jurisdiction the marriage has been solemnized.

3. What is application fee for Registration ?

  • Application fee for Registration as applicable and Rs. 150/- is charged for Solemnization.

4. Where to apply ?

  • You can approach to the O/o the ADM of your area or you can also approach to the concerned O/o the Deputy Commissioner during 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM on any working day.


5. What is the Response time ?

  • Marriage Registration certificate is issued within 14 days.


6. Degree of Prohibition as per Hindu Marriage Act 1955.

  • "Sapinda relationship" with reference to any person extends as far as the third generation (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the mother, and the fifth (inclusive) in the line of ascent through the father, the line being traced upwards in each case from the person concerned, who is to be counted as the first generation;
    • two persons are said to "sapindas" of each other if one is a lineal ascendant of the other within the limits of sapinda relationship, or if they have a common lineal ascendant who is within the limits of sapinda relationship with reference to each of them;
  • "degrees of prohibited relationship" – two persons are said to be within the "degrees of prohibited relationship" –

1.       if one is a lineal ascendant of the other

2.       if one was the wife or husband of a lineal ascendant or descendant of the other

3.       if one was the wife of the brother or the father’s or mother’s brother or of the grandfather’s or grandmother’s brother of the other

4.       if the two are brother and sister, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, or children of brother and sister or of two brothers or of two sisters


Latest News
Advertisement 47APP on contract basis
Automated System of Allotment Govt. of Delhi (e-Awas)
Delhi Budget 2017_18
Discontinuation of physical printing of Government of India Gazettes
Draft Delhi Road Safety Policy
Empanelment of Ms ICSIL for hiring of contractual manpower
Extention of date Application for the post of Other Persons Members for Lok Adalats
Guidelines for Modal RFP Documents
Local Services
Important Links
Delhi Disaster Management Authority
e-Stamp Verification
National Foundation for Communal Harmony
National Voters Service
Last Updated : 02 May,2016